Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Political Philosophy

In this post, I quoted the great political philosopher Tip O'Neill.

When I think back on all the time I wasted as a political science major, reading Plato, Aristotle, Locke, Marx, etc., it's too bad I didn't realize at the time that just about the only political philosophy I would need to write this blog, is contained in three quotes by the following 20th-century philosophers:

A week is a long time in politics.

-- British Prime Minister Harold Wilson

Money is the mother's milk of politics.

-- California Assembly Speaker Jesse Unruh

All politics is (should that be "are"?) local.


-- U.S. House Speaker Tip O'Neill

Regular readers of this blog will note how useful I find those quotations to be. Perhaps I'll try to work something in from Locke sometime, and see if you're impressed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered about Political "Science" as a major as it didn't seem to have much science about it.

Is that term used internationally, or is there some other term used to describe the study of politics? Your craft seem more akin to a black art than a science.

I'd really be impressed if you could weave in a little Calvin and Hobbes...

schiller1979 said...

And I suppose you don't mean John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes (?)

My college called it Government and International Relations when I got there, and they later changed it to Political Science.

Perhaps they should follow the lead of Harry Potter's school, Hogwarts, and also teach Defense Against The Dark Arts. I suppose that could describe part of what I'm trying to do with this blog.