Monday, June 16, 2008

A Mystery

Some readers who know my secret identity as a mild-mannered businessman have asked why I write under the name of "Schiller". The name has to do with a sacred tradition at my alma mater. My username is Schiller1979, because that is the year I graduated from that alma mater and entered the real world.

UPDATE: The "tradition" link above seems to be broken. So, I'll give a brief explanation here. A bust of the German poet Schiller was once stolen on the campus. The tradition ever since has been to exhibit the bust at public events at the College, and then hurriedly put Schiller back in hiding. Schiller's most famous moment was when he was shown by the 2000 commencement speaker, who then brought it home on his private plane. That speaker was William Jefferson Clinton.

No comments: