Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Political Spectrum

When I started this blog, my choice of a title for it was somewhat random. The reference to "Political Spectrum" was as much a tribute to a sports arena that is slated for the wrecking ball, as anything else.

But, for the sake of truth in advertising, I will now write about the political spectrum. I have two unorthodox ideas on that subject, that I'll address in upcoming posts:

First, the political spectrum is usually thought of as a line. I will argue that it is better represented by a circle.

Second, as I see it, the words "conservative" and "liberal" are used in a way that bears no resemblance to their original meanings. I will go on to argue that 1) they are not antonyms at all, and 2) their misuse has resulted in muddled thinking about political philosophy.

No comments: