Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Records are made to be broken

As I mentioned here, I'm a proud member of the baby boom generation. Not only that, I was born at the very peak of the boom, in 1957.

So I was taken aback by this report, finding out that, after half a century, my year's distinction of having more live births than any other year in American history, is no more. The record was surpassed in 2007.

That's in absolute numbers. As the Journal article notes, the birth rate per 1,000 of population was higher in the boom years than in 2007. The population base from which the boom emerged was far lower then than now. So it remains true that my generation had the biggest impact (I'll leave it at that, and let readers interpret that positively or negatively, as they see fit) on the country.

No comments: